There is no denying that sheds and outdoor buildings
made with LP®
products are exceptionally durable and easy maintenance, especially when compared to outdoor wooden storage sheds
. However, all storage sheds require routine maintenance to keep them functioning properly and make them last longer. Fall is an ideal time to prepare your shed for winter by performing some of these routine tasks.
- Clean out the shed. Sheds can quickly accumulate a lot of dirt and debris during the summer months, so remove everything and sweep it out.
- Check for damage. After emptying the shed, inspect the ceiling, walls, windows and flooring for leaks and damage, and make repairs as needed.
- Add weather-stripping around doors. Add or replace weather-stripping around doors and overhead doors. Keep out drafts and moisture by caulking around door frames.
- Keep your shed pest-free. Deter pests by trimming back grass and vegetation around the shed. Store seeds, mulch and other supplies in closed containers with tight-fitting lids.
- Lubricate moving parts. Latches and hinges on a shed should be sprayed with a lubricant as a part of regular upkeep to prevent squeaks and stop rust.
- Examine shelving and workbenches. If you need more storage or if your current shelving system needs to be repaired or replaced, now is the time to make upgrades.
- Maintain tools and equipment. Drain garden hoses and clean garden tools so they will be ready for spring use. Drain gas and oil from lawn equipment such as lawn mowers, trimmers and leaf blowers.
- Organize winter equipment. Move winter items such as shovels, sheds and ice melt to the front of the shed, where they are easily accessible. If your shed is looking messy, check out these quick organization tips.
- Wash the shed exterior. Once a year, give your shed a good wash to remove dirt and dust, and stop mildew and mold growth. Avoid using a pressure washer to clean LP SmartSide siding. Pressure washing can force water underneath the siding panel and cause damage to the finish.
- Paint the shed. As needed, repaint sheds and outdoor buildings to protect them from the elements. All factory-primed LP SmartSide siding and trim must be painted using high-quality, 100 % acrylic exterior latex paint.
Have Questions? Get Professional Assistance.
Maintaining a shed properly ensures its components last as long as their stated warranty. In addition, it will help keep your shed looking like new for many years. For guidance in caring for a shed constructed with LP products, find an LP shed dealer
near you. If you need a new storage solution before winter, discover the unique advantages of LP®
Outdoor Building Solutions products. Beautiful and exceptionally durable, LP shed products make storage sheds and outdoor buildings a cut above the rest. Learn more from a shed dealer